This article will show you how to automatically pre-fill a form upon contract signature completion.
It contains the following topics:
- Using the "pre-fill a form" automation action
- Configuring the automation trigger
- Configuring the automation action
- Using the fields automation tab
- Using the other automation tab
- Publishing the automation
- Testing the automation workflow
- Fixing a failed automation
- Checking a successfully run automation
How can I use the "pre-fill form" automation action?
- Your forms can be automatically pre-filled with data and sent to specific recipients.
- That means a form can be filled out faster without inserting data manually.
- Avoid data inconsistency by automating the pre-filling of forms based on the needed trigger.
- As an example in this article, we will base the pre-filling of the form on a full contract signature, but you can use any of the triggers available in the automation builder listed in this article.
How to set up the automatic pre-filling of a form?
Configuring the automation action:
- Click on the Automations tab from the main menu and then on the blue button Create new at the upper right-hand corner.
- You will be redirected to a pop-up window where you can customize the automation's setup. To begin with, select the trigger you need from the drop-down menu. In our case, we will choose "Contract is signed."
This will automatically open a configuration window to the right in which you can define which template should be used for the contract and which signature should start the automation.
- After choosing the correct template and signature to trigger the automated flow, confirm by clicking Save:
Configuring the automation actions:
This step covers the action which will happen automatically when the contract is signed.
- You can use the search bar to locate the option Pre-fill a form.
- A new configuration window will appear on the right side of the screen.
- Assign the action to the correct form you need. All available under your account forms will be listed under the drop-down list. You will be allowed to change the selected form at any time:
How do I use the fields tab?
- The fields tab of the configuration includes all form fields:
- Use the recipient email field to determine who will receive the form from running the automation.
- Proceed with fetching the variables from the signed contract and pre-filling them automatically in the new form you would like to send:
- You can use the data fields, party, and signee details available in the selected under the trigger event template or manually insert the values of the form fields under this configuration.
- Click Save to validate the completion of the form fields.
How do I use the other tab?
- You can use the other tab to customize your message to the form recipient by combining manual text input and data fields from the body of the signed contract:
How can I publish my automation?
- Lastly, you can give the automation a new name from the upper left-side corner (by clicking on the small pencil icon) and click on publish once the configuration is completed:
❗️Important: If you need to make any changes to the automation flow at one point, remember to unpublish it first, then make the necessary edits and click again on publish to put the flow into practice.
- You can control that by turning the status toggle bar on or off:
- If you click on the three grey dots next to the status toggle bar, you can open, rename, delete, or see the activity feed of the automation.
- Remember that the automation must be active (published) for the activities to be available to see.
- This option allows you full traceability of the automation's usage and flow:
- In the activity sidebar, you can see all the details of when the automation was used and the steps taken before it was triggered.
- Just click on the small arrow next to the date and time to expand the details:
- In addition, you will always be notified in-app in the notifications at the top navigation bar as soon as any of your automation flows has been executed:
❗️Important: You can modify your email and in-app notifications under profile settings for your account. You are not able to control your recipient's messages.
How can I test the "pre-fill a form" automation?
- First, you'll need to complete the trigger event you selected - in our case, the full signature of a contract created from the DPA template.
- Important: You can use an alias of your email address as the second signee - this way, you will receive the pre-filled form.
- As soon as the action has been completed, return to your Contractbook account and check the in-app notifications under your tab.
- The automation status will be listed as either successful or failed:
What can I do if the automation fails?
- If the automation has failed, you can access the detailed view by clicking on the failed notification in the list under your profile notifications.
- In this view, you can identify the reason for the failure by expanding the inability to run details. You can use the information found here to change the automation from the configuration settings.
How can I check the execution of a successfully run automation?
- If the automation has run successfully, you can open and complete the new pre-filled form from the related email notification in your inbox by clicking "Complete form."
- You can now check all already existing details it is pre-filled with:
- The form must be auto-populated with all the data you inserted in the fields tab of the automation builder.
- The pre-filled details in the form's fields should match the properties you have chosen under the configuration of the second automation step (pre-fill a form).
- You can always return to the automation builder and edit details or customize the steps.
- After testing the automation workflow, you can start using it, saving time by creating automatic workflows connected to a form's pre-filling.