Can I add external collaborators to private comments?
- The creator or any account with full access permissions level on the draft needs to explicitly share the document directly with a recipient and set the "access to private comments" toggle on in order to allow adding and accessing private comments to any collaborator:
- Finally, click Share to confirm the action.
❗️Important: You can activate "access to private comments" for all permissions.
Only the "full Access" permission level will always contain the functionality by default. The toggle will not be active for control when allowing this level of permission:
Can I allow direct access to private comments by mentioning collaborators in the comment field?
- The owner or any collaborator with full access permission on the document can mention any external collaborator who does not have "access to private comments" yet and allow them this access.
- If the user mentioned in the comment field does not have access to private comments provided along with access to the document, the owner or full-access collaborator will be allowed to grant this user access simply by mentioning them in the comment field:
This means that when adding a new comment and inviting a user through the comment mention:
- When the comment dropdown select is set to "public," this invited user will have access to the document without being granted "access to private comments"
- If the comment dropdown is set to "private," the invited user will have access to the document with "access to private comments."
- Therefore inviting a user while mentioning them in the comment field will affect their type of comments access, depending on the comment being set to private or public:
Can I invite collaborators to private comments via email?
When adding collaborators to private comments, you also can invite anyone via email, as you can normally do in public comments modules:
To achieve that, use the mentioning tag @ in the comment field:
Users invited via email to a private comment, will automatically gain view access permission in the document, along with "access to private comments" and tasks:
You can check their permissions from the share button at the top navigation bar in the document and further allow them any additional type of permission.
Who can see my private comments in a draft?
- You can see the list of users with access to private comments by clicking the tag button (@) when creating a new comment in the draft:
- Alternatively, you can click "Share" at the top section of the draft and see if any collaborator with whom the document was shared was granted "access to private comments" with any type of permission or, in general, "full access" permission level in the draft:
Who has access to private comments by default?
- Only full access collaborators and creators have access to private comments by default on all documents to which these permissions apply.
- This default setting cannot be switched off and changed.
Do users with shared folder and team permissions have access to private comments by default?
- These users are not granted access to private comments in the drafts available in the shared or team folders by default.
- Only the creator or collaborator with full access rights in the document can grant anyone else permission "access to private comments" manually, as described in the article above.
Can I change private comments into public and vice versa?
- If you have incorrectly created the wrong type of comment thread, you can only edit the body but not the type of comment.
- In order to change the type of your comment, you need to delete it and create a new one with the required type of comment thread.
- It is not possible to amend only the type of comment once it has been created:
Can my counterparty also have private comments on their side?
Currently, we do not support private comments for counter-parties. In such cases, they need to use public comments only or their internal tools.
What happens if I remove a person from private comment access?
In these situations, this collaborator will lose access to all private comments in the document.
What happens if I add or re-add a person to a draft with private comment access?
In such situations, the collaborator can see all existing private comments added to the document, including resolved comment threads.
Read more about the use of private comments in your drafts here.
Please sign in to leave a comment.