This article describes enabling data field input for recipients across your documents. It contains the following topics:
- Allowing signees to fill in data before signing
- Requiring certain data inputs
- Sending contract with empty required fields for signature
- Making data fields invisible to recipients
How can I allow a signee to fill in data and sign a contract?
If you need specific information to be filled in a contract before it is sent for signatures to anyone, you can use a simple workflow consisting of a few steps:
- Add data fields in a new contract draft - each data field represents an individual information input your Signee will have to fill in before turning the draft into a pending contract
- Share the draft allowing "fill document" permission to the signee and leave the "Send for signatures" toggle on or off, depending on your need
- Disregarding the status of the "Send for signatures" toggle, the signee will be allowed to add signee details in the contract draft
- Once the Signee has received the draft you have shared and filled in the details in all data fields you have requested, you can proceed with reviewing the draft and turning it into a contract by initiating the signature process
- We have built a data library of the most common contract data fields. In our library, you can filter based on different contract types or contract workflows such as HR, Compliance, NDA, DPA, Employment, Sales, and more:
- Your contract draft's recipients will be allowed to add comments and make suggestions in the draft as well (this is a part of the "fill document" permission)
- Always make sure to review the contract draft before sending it for signature - this way you can check if the correct Signees are present and only then send the contract to them
Can I require some fields to be filled out?
You can decide which data fields must be filled out and which are not mandatory. Here is how:
- For existing in the document content data fields, you need to access the properties of the fields and set the "Required field" toggle on:
- For new data fields you are creating, you need to first add the field in the document body. Only data fields in the document content can be required:
Can I send a contract with empty required data fields for signatures?
A contract cannot be sent for a signature until all of the required fields are filled out.
How can I add data fields invisible to the recipients?
- If you have any sensitive information which must remain visible only internally, you can add metadata fields to documents in all stages.
- Even after sharing a document with the "fill in permission", these fields remain hidden from external parties outside of your own company.
- Metadata fields cannot be made required, this can only be done for data fields within the document content:
- Metadata fields can also be added once the contract has already been signed to keep negotiation terms, or any other detail you must follow internally across your signed agreements.
- Click here for more inspiration about usually used metadata fields across specific contract types.
This is only one of the permissions your collaborators or signees can have in the drafts you share with them. Read more about all permission and how you can use them here.
Please sign in to leave a comment.